22 Jul 2015

Ascend (Trylle #3) by Amanda Hocking

Ascend (Trylle #3) by Amanda Hocking

Goodreads Synopsis
Wendy Everly is facing an impossible choice. The only way to save the Trylle from their deadliest enemy is by sacrificing herself.  If she doesn't surrender to the Vittra, her people will be thrust into a brutal war against an unbeatable foe.  But how can Wendy leave all her friends behind... even if it’s the only way to save them?

The stakes have never been higher, because her kingdom isn't the only thing she stands to lose. After falling for both Finn and Loki, she’s about to make the ultimate choice... who to love forever. One guy has finally proven to be the love of her life—and now all their lives might be coming to an end.

Everything has been leading to this moment.  The future of her entire world rests in her hands—if she’s ready to fight for it.
 

Disclaimer: This is one of my favourite series of all time. I am extremely biased and my review will definitely show that.

This book KILLED ME. It shattered my hopes and dreams for ever being able to love another book series as much as this (except Harry Potter and The Hunger Games). I thought that the ending was actually pretty perfect and while it may be too perfect, I was semi-okay with the fact that all the big names in this ended up where they were.

Torn ended with Wendy engaged to Tove to be able to keep the Trylle race safe and secure with the two most powerful Trylles in power. The problem? They are not in love or really all that compatible in anything more than a platonic manner. They make for great friends but other than that there is nothing. Much of the relationships and characters remain the same: Finn is still too dutiful for his own good that he cannot fully admit to being in love with Wendy. Willa and Matt are still in their secret relationship since they are forbidden to be together. Elora is still the same but there is more to her than meets the eye. And Loki is just Loki, the Vittra Markis bad boy with a soft spot for Wendy. 

I think one of my favourite parts of this is that it becomes blatantly obvious that Finn and Wendy could never be together. Both Matt and Willa and Wendy and Finn have equally forbidden relationships. The difference? Matt and Willa are both willing to fight for their relationship and to be able to be together whereas Finn doesn't want to put the effort in to try to even be with Wendy longterm. It is so important to realize that if someone wants to be with you, they will do everything in their power and ability to be with you, even if it is difficult. Finn does not do that with Wendy, he thinks it is his duty to follow his strict orders and nothing, not even Wendy, can change that thought for him.

I think Wendy was forced to do a lot of thinking and decision making in this one and while I didn't always agree with her decisions, especially when it came to putting the wellbeing of her kingdom over her own happiness, I did understand it in the end. It just was frustrating that she couldn't have it both ways at all times. I did think that Wendy became her own woman in this one and made all the right choices for what she believed to be best. It was just frustrating at the time that she would make a decision that was counter-intuitive to her happiness, in my opinion.

I do agree with all the choices that the characters make in the ending and the way things are left. I think the last battle between the Trylle and the Vittra was one of the best written scenes in the entire series. While we had seen a lot of magic throughout the series, and Ascend especially, it was nice to see it a bit more developed and the powers of the trolls on full display. I liked the way that the battle ended and I thought it made for such a good story that I wasn't even mad at how some of it ended.

Overall: 5/5 stars for this one. I am so happy with the ending! Which is actually a first for me, I think.

ALSOthe version I have published by St. Martin Griffin's has bonus stories at the back!! I highly suggest if you are going to pick up a copy, you pick this version up!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!