21 Sept 2015

Lumberjanes: Beware The Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Brooke A. Allen

Title: LUMBERJANES: BEWARE THE KITTEN HOLY
Author: Noelle Stevenson, Grace Ellis, Brooke A. Allen
Series: Lumberjanes
Source
: Owned (Purhcased from Big B Comics)
Publisher
:BOOM! Box
Publication Date
: April 7, 2015

Summary:
FRIENDSHIP TO THE MAX!

At Miss Qiunzilla Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's camp for hard-core lady-types, things are not what they seem. Three-eyed foxes. Secret caves. Anagrams. Luckily, Jo, April, Mal, Molly, and Ripley are five rad, butt-kicking best pals determined to have an awesome summer together... And they're not gonna let a magical quest or an array of supernatural critters get in their way! The mystery keeps getting bigger, and it all begins here. 

--

This one was so cute and endearing and I am so glad I owned it because I hugged it at the end. It was so nice to see girl power and female friendships in this. I also liked that it wasn't "Okay we are girls and we want adventure but if it gets to hard, we will find boys to help us" because the boys were monsters.

I thought that there would be more explanation and story than there was but it was cute and fluffy while still being adventurous and fun. I liked that the story continued over the course of the four single issues -- and that there will be more to come from what we have seen -- but I felt like nothing was ever completely wrapped up. And each comic we were thrown into things without a sort of understanding of what had happened before to understand what is happening now.

One thing I really enjoyed was that these happened in the middle of the handbook and the handbook was even cleverly written. I enjoyed reading those asides because they told me what to expect (ish) out of the panels that were upcoming. But it still didn't pass as a wrap up or a good segue into the new story.

I liked the art but I can see how some people wouldn't be a fan of it. It was "messy" but really colourful. I think it was a perfect fit for the story that was being told and the audience it was meant for.

Overall: 4/5 stars. I just would have liked more transition between the different collected issues to make it a bit easier of a read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!