29 Sept 2015

Top Ten Tuesday (9): Ten Book Recommendations

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists at The Broke and the Bookish. They'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and LOVE to see other top ten lists!
This week's TTT is all about book recommendations based on something so I decided to do it based on my top ten books of this year (so far). I will tell you what book it resembles and why I think that. It'll look like this:
SUPER POPULAR BOOK --> BOOK I RECOMMEND YOU READ NEXT
So get ready for some awesome book recommendations! And, as always, you can hit me up for more if you have read all these and/or want more!
--
1. Kick Ass Heroine Who Takes No Shit But Falls In Love
THRONE OF GLASS by Sarah J. Maas  --> A SCHOOL FOR UNUSUAL GIRLS by Kathleen Baldwin
Throne of Glass is one of those staple books that everyone seems to love. But I think A School For Unusual Girls is going to be something even better. I thought that there were some parts of ASFUG that were tedious and overdone, but it was still such a good read and I cannot wait to see where the series is going to go from here! You can read my full review!



--
2. BAMF Female With Magical Abilities Goes To Boarding School
HEX HALL by Rachel Hawkins --> THE BLACK MAGE SERIES by Rachel E. Carter
I'm not sure if Hex Hall is as main stream as I think it is in my head (because I loved it) but I know that The Black Mage Series is not as widely known as it should be. Ryiah is a freaking BAMF and she does all of it while not letting people get her down. She is strong willed but still wants to try hard in school. It is a winning combination.



--
3. Epic Fantasy Meet Epic Fantasy
THE GRISHA SERIES by Leigh Bardugo --> AIR AWAKENS by Elise Kova
Honestly, I had a hard time with The Grisha Series overall. It didn't live up to my expectations but I think that is because I had heard so much about it that nothing could have been enough for me, if you know what I mean. But Air Awakens is sort of the "next step" and once you read it, you will understand what I mean.




--

4. Best Depiction Of The Real World
ALONG FOR THE RIDE by Sarah Dessen --> FAKING PERFECT by Rebecca Philips
Sarah Dessen will always be the Queen of Contemporary to me (because I grew up reading her books) but Rebecca Philips' FAKING PERFECT gives that title a run for its money. Faking Perfect is such a wonderful contemporary that deals with familial relationships that aren't always perfect, and a girl who just wants to find love. This is a true coming of age story and I loved every second of it.



 --
5. Cinderella Retellings Galore
THE LUNAR CHRONICLES by Marissa Meyers --> A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON by Christine Norris
Honestly, could have listed a couple Cinderella retellings to fit into this one because there are so many out there. It was hard to choose which one to feature, but I chose A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON because it is a steampunk retelling and I have been super into steampunk lately. Which means you all have been into it too, right?




--
6. Science Fiction Meet Your Fantasy Equivalent
RECKONERS by Brandon Sanderson --> LIGHTBRINGER by Brent Weeks
 I know, I know, different genres. But Brandon Sanderson writes Fantasy so well and parts of that is seen in his science fiction series. So if you want to make a leap back and forth between the two genres, I suggest going to the Lightbringer Series afterwards.





 --
7. "Let's Leave Saving The World Up To One Kid"
ENDER'S QUINTET by Orsan Scott Card --> POOR MAN'S FIGHT by Elliott Kay
I think this is actually a pretty self-explanatory subtopic. Both are space military novels that tell you what is going to happen right up front but leave the "how" until the very end.







--
8. High Fantasy Of The Best Variety
THE WHEEL OF TIME SERIES by Robert Jordan --> THE SEVENTH CROW by Sherry D. Ramsey
I read and reviewed The Seventh Crow already and I am working through The Wheel of Time series on audiobook. But from the first three books, I know that The Seventh Crow has a comparable world to what Jordan has created. Both are lush and expansive, requiring the reader to really pay attention to the nitty, gritty details. But they are awe inspiring as well.



--
9. Who Killed This Bitch?
PRETTY LITTLE LIARS SERIES by Sara Shepard --> DIRT DAUGHTER by Michele Shaw
Both of these books deal with the death of a friend in a very different way, but the mystery in both of them is good enough to keep the reader's attention until the very end. I think the one thing that makes Dirt Daughter stand out is how psychologically traumatized that Elena was because of the death of her friend. It was very well done and well written.



--
10. What Is Reality? What Is A Dream?
DREAM CATCHER TRILOGY by Lisa McMann --> SEVEN WEEKS TO FOREVER by Jennifer Farwell
Again, pretty self-explanatory. They don't completely line up in terms of plot but have a similar sort of genre and niche. I think they are both really good stories, but do watch out for the short sentences in the Dream Catcher books!
Have you read any of the books I've listed?  Are you going to try out some of the others I've posted?? Let me know in the comments below! 
As always, lots of love and happy reading! xx 

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see a School for Unusual Girls on here. I read that recently and really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! I'll definitely look into "A Curse of Ash & Iron." Haven't heard of it before so will be interesting to check it out :D Thanks for sharing!

    My TTT

    Obsessive Compulsive Reader

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am adding Air Awakens to my list! Sounds good! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. so many Cinderella retellings ... so little time :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked PLL, so I'll have to check out Dirt Daughter!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! I cherish each and every comment. If you leave me a link to your blog, I will do my best to comment back!